Wednesday 3 January 2007

23rd of December

Today we walked to the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies and then on to the Viceroys residence. The Viceroys residence was the place where the Viceroy lived during the time of the Raj. It was built in the Scottish baronial style, which basically boils down to very impressive.

After the Raj left it was converted to some important political residence for the new government and later in to a university building in which humanities and social science are studied. We went on a tour of the building in which we had to pay 50 rupees and 20 rupees for Mark and myself. I saved the dollar by showing my Indian citizenship card. Not that they readily believed me, I think the thing that saved me the money was the fact that the card listed my occupation as student, and currently I guess I am a student.

The tour consisted of 2 rooms and two hallways. The first hallway consisted of a brief history (which I didn't listen to as you can observed from my above paragraph) and showing us the old felt mountings for the guns and sword. There aren't any weapons left, they've been removed but the felt remains, impressive. In the second hallway we were showed a library where we weren't allowed to see inside and some brass light switches. Which all the Indians then queued up to see, we did to, to see what all the fuss was about, they were light switches. The next two rooms were equally impressive as the light switches, so once we hit the museum (a room with some low quality photos) we bailed, which was fortunately the end of the tour. That said just walking around the grands of this place was fantasitic. Really beautfiul, with old trees, lovely grass fields with the obligatory couples being couples on them. Indian style couples though.

No comments: